Monday, February 7, 2011

Seitan Tacos and Tequila Avocado Salad

mmmmm wheat meat.


Also, I finally get to use tequila as a food.

Let's start there.  I made a tequila lime vinaigrette with oil (i used olive, but whatever) apple cider vinegar, tequila, cilantro, a little garlic power, sugar and lime juice.  Measuring made easy - one shot of each, except the lime, use a half shot of lime.  A third of a shot of lime if you're not into lime.


Add your vinegar, lime and tequila to a bowl and stir.  Then slowly stream in the oil, whisking frantically. When the oil is incorporated, add the dry goods.  I chopped up about a third of a cup of cilantro


and added literally a pinch of both sugar and garlic powder - the amount that fits between two pinched fingers.  Whisk again.


I think the dressing benefits from sitting a bit, so I did that first, put a bowl helmet on it and threw it in the fridge for about a half hour while I did the rest of it.


The rest of it, really, is just making a salad, mixing up taco powder, opening a package of seitan (I used Westsoy strips), dicing some onion and heating it all together.  I made my standard taco powder, which suits a pound of meat, and it was a little too much for the amount of seitan in a package (8oz), so I used less.  But this here is my regular taco powder recipe, for a pound of food - adjust quantities as needed, but the proportions are there.


1 tablespoon cayenne
1/2 tablespoon smoked paprika
1/2 tablespoon cumin
1/4 tablespoon garlic powder
1/4 tablespoon onion powder
1/4 tablespoon oregano
1/4 tablespoon another pepper (I have these dried aleppo peppers, you could use red pepper flake)
1/4 tablespoon black pepper
dash of salt

Again, this makes more than you need for this dish, but I'm not going to divide all that up, I used real measurements.  For this dish, use like 2/3 of that mix. Or make less.

I make it up in batches and just use 2 - 2.5 tablespoons of it, whereas for a pound of meat I use just over 3.

I put a third of a cup of water in a saute pan with my spices and stirred it on low heat a bit until it was more like a sauce than like spices in water.


Added the seitan (it's pre cooked, just get it hot) and some onions. I wanted there to be some crunch left in the onions. I left it covered on very low while I made my salad.


This salad is pretty flexible. In the summer, I use tomato, and I could totally see including summer squash or cucumber, and a little bit of diced jalepeno. You could add beans, but I never think ahead to get them soaking. This time it was romaine lettuce, frozen corn, scallions, and diced avocado.


I thought everyone opened avocados the same way, but recently I've discovered there are many techniques. I run a knife around the thing, skimming the pit, and then unscrew it.




Toss the salad together with the dressing and give it a minute, let it all hang out together.


Put seitan on taco shells (soft are cool too, we just had these) and top with cilantro, a squirt of lime, and cheddar (optional - still tagging this vegan). 


An 8oz package of seitan made enough for six tacos.  We didn't eat six tacos, so it's gonna be lunch.

click the thing you want to read about