Saturday, February 19, 2011

Bison Bacon Cheeseburger

It's not so much a recipe as much as it was dinner.


Season up a half pound of meat (beef, bison, turkey, etc).  With bison or turkey, I use extra wet, like barbecue sauce and worcestershire, plus onion and garlic powder (barely sauteed onion, when I'm on my game and actually have an onion in the house), salt and pepper and a dash of cayenne. 


Form into patties (a half pound makes two good-sized patties.  Make the center thinner than the edges and it won't get misshapen when it cooks.

ewww, right?
And throw them on a hot griddle.  With turkey or bison, anything really, but especially your drier meats, put a pot lid on top to keep the steam in.

I read somewhere that this is Ted Turner's tip, and how they do it for the bison burgers at Ted's Montana Grill.  I've been to Ted's Montana Grill, and I like a lot of their food, but not so much the bison burgers.  But for me it still works.  So I guess the thing I don't like about them is unrelated to the pot lids.
  Make bacon.  I grew up with one of these microwave devices and I love it.  I accept the delusion that it's less greasy this way.  The trade off is that I'm microwaving plastic.

 

Using one of these microwave racks makes it really easy to pour off the grease.  Here's the creepy container I keep bacon fat in in the fridge. I use if for greens, or beans and rice, or potatoes.

 

Let drain on towels. 


Flip the burgers. 


 When they're done, add cheese, recover, and turn off the heat.


Add bacon and lettuce and whatever sauce you're feeling.  I used the rolls I had leftover from the veggie sloppy joes.


Pro tip: toast the rolls in advance, because that griddle's gonna get gross.

click the thing you want to read about